Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Snapshots from hell-Book review

On a casual chat with Swathi,I came across a book called "Snapshots from hell"...She told it was a great read and also added it is all about MBA.I being a victim of CAT fiasco always fall prey to anything related to MBA and IIM's.Books authored by IIT and IIM students always makes me to grab one..The very same week I got the book "Snapshots from hell" authored by "Peter Robinson" and I assure all I had was a delicious read.

Peter Robinson is an MBA graduate from Stanford University. In this book he explains about his experience in Stanford University .He worked as a speechwriter in Reagan's government and then decided to opt for his MBA at Stanford.

He coins a term called "Poets" and people with literature and not so from Math background fall into the category. Peter enters Stanford with lots of expectations like others.What he witnessed was totally a different thing...The poets including him found it hard to cope with MATH papers and to add fury the case studies seemed to be an alien.

I understand the first year is very important when it comes to MBA,where you get an opportunity to work on case studies and work hard like never before.You are totally dumped with assignments, presentations ,case studies et al and you hardly get time for your personal work or for recreation. Peter also witnessed the same thing. The first year students were working very hard solving cases, clearing exams and many more. Sometimes these monotony created a frustration but then the life at B school moves on the same way.

Poets found it very hard to cope MATH related papers. They devoted extra hours to crack the same. Finally arrived the winter and summer placements where people hopped for their jobs. At the end of their course all of them managed to come out with a job, so did Peter.

Recession hits the market and the MBA's lose their jobs. Some managed to sustain their job. Some were fired and entered into job hopping .Peter was also pushed away from his job.Finally he gets back into writing, but this times he writes on all topics(Thanks to Stanford from where he gained a rich experience and which moulded him to write on business topics as well).

I loved the ending in the book, it goes this way "Business schools are definitely not heaven but they teach you things and gives ya confidence to shatter obstacles to survive".(It is just a rough summary forgot the exact words from the book)

Some pages contains case studies and MBA related topics. But during your read you can skim those(I did it).It was a nice read. You get to know a lot about Stanford and MBA. Do try your hand on this book and let me know your views as well.

Currently reading "Fine balance" not sure when I will complete, once done I will be back with my review :)

Adieu amigos

No comments:

Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs