Sunday, June 13, 2010

Book review-The dark room

I am a die hard fan of "R.K.Narayan".After the dawn of 2010,I said myself that I have to complete all his collections.Being a sluggish sloth that I am, completing all his collections is gonna be a herculean task.


I recently completely his book "The dark room" and here goes the review.


"The dark room" is all about the couple "Savitri and Ramani".Ramani always appears to be of dominating genre, on the other hand Savitri tends to be submissive.She never questions her husband and accepts whatever he says!Life moves on with the same way.

All of a sudden yet another feminine character enters into Savitri's life which leads to total chaos in the family.Savitri moves out of her home and for a very short period she stays away from her home.


Being so much engulfed with her family she could not withstand being all alone and she decides to return back to her family and finally she does that.

Well coming back to the title,Savitri tends to stay in her "Dark room" whenever she encounters tussle with her hubby.But there appears a situation which makes her to shun everything including her dark room and which makes her to move away from her home.At the later stage she again comes back to her home.

R.K.Narayan writings are always a delicious treat for the readers.His way of ending the stories are always different and you would witness a differnt cusp in his flavour of writing.

Stay tuned in this space to read more book reviews of R.K.Narayan's collection.
And the next book review is gonna be “Snapshots from hell” !Stay tuned!

Till then adieu amigos

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice. I must admit, my exposure to RKN's work are limited to Swami and Friends, Malgudi Days and quite recently The Guide. I'm a huge fan of his work, and this review makes it sound delicious indeed.

sushobhan roy said...

Hey I have read that book.. Awesome stuff from RKN.. I have got quite a collection of his stuff like English Teacher, Waiting for the Mahatma, Swami and friends and Bachelor of Arts.. I am a big fan of his style of writing..:)

Annapoorani Sivaramakrishnan said...

@Sudhi,

Thanks a lot for the kind words!I do agree RKN rocks.his simple but elegant writings always attracts the readers :)

@Susho,

You too a big fan.Glad to see yet another fellow RKN fan.
I love BA book.
I am yet to explore English teacher and waiting for mahatma.
thanks a lot for ur continuous support:)

Anonymous said...

@Gouri... I think u can better choose journalism as your career where u will really excell with your English skills I believe.... No joking really I mean it... I too am a fan of RKN coz he brings in the old memories and rustic feels back to the readers.....

Annapoorani Sivaramakrishnan said...

@Anon,

Thanks a lot for your sweet words!Journalism is in my to be explored area list!god save Journalism.
yippee glad to see yet another RKN fan.He truely rocks.
yes his writings makes us to reminisce our past :)

Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs